7.28.14--MONDAY MANTRA

Once upon a time, I wished I had a greater facility with numbers, but I got through junior high, high school, and college without being able to do much math. It did not hold me back. In fact, maybe I am some sort of savant. I only got as far as geometry and the two algebras. By tenth grade, I was done. As you might expect, I LOVED geometry. I could see how it all fit. That other stuff? PLEASE. Every ONE of those numbers that did not refer to shapes were IRRATIONAL numbers to me. 

I am sure there are tens of thousands of people like me out there, who, back in check-writing days, could write the correct amount in the words part, transpose one OR MORE numbers in the numerical part, and then write a THIRD number in the register. Then subtract in the decimals, manage to "carry the one" and add in the dollars, hopelessly screwing up the check book forever.

I did not let my math inability keep me from taking the College Level Exemption tests that were available to me back in the day. I did not do any of the prep work, that as an adult, I would have at least made a stab at. 
No.
Not me. I read each problem, looked at the answers available, and my brain gave me a "feeling" about which answer to choose. I remember being torn between two answers on about 7 of the problems.

It did not hold me back. 
I took no math classes in college--I was exempted.

So if you see me on the street one day, do not ask me to do any math unless you give me 5 answers from which I can choose the correct one, or you have a calculator to lend me. 

I promise, even with a calculator, I WILL have to do the problem 2-3 times because I will enter the numbers wrong at least once. But you will probably see me smiling because I do not let what I can't do keep me from what I want to do.

All any of us can do is KEEP TRYING.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the inspirational words. Dates and map coordinates are the only numbers that make sense to me. Why solve for x? In 8th grade, the math train pulled out of the station and I wasn't on it. That left one non-algebraic destination: "Math for Daily Living" and its college counterpart, "Math for Liberal Arts Majors." Alas, I never made it to geometry. That guaranteed a STEM-free future for me.
Still don't understand how I CLEPed out of two semesters of French, though.