10.10.13




The Teacher Dream. 
I haven't had one in over a year. Mine are fairly typical. I am shouting as loud as I can but no sound is coming out and I am invisible to my charges. Usually this takes place in my most recent classroom. Then someone with a clipboard comes in and the fright is so great I make myself wake up.  

This one was different.

I had about 20 students, not the crème de la crème to which I had grown accustomed. Oh, no. I went into a strange new classroom with a station-like suite of adjoining rooms, knowing my charges were challenged in some way. I think it was difficult to coax them to read aloud, and they did not have the knack or interest. 

As soon as I spent attention on one of them, the rest of my group took off cheerfully and went to another station,  joining a group already at work with an aid. I had FOUR FULL TIME TEACHING ASSISTANTS! Two men and two women. 
My assistants had no hints for me for dealing with the challenges these children brought to the learning experience. 

I got the feeling my aids thought I was not getting the complete picture. I kept losing my group. My kids could be found in the courtyard, laughing and enjoying each other and just being alive. 

I had no feasible lesson plan--at least three of the things I tried had not worked. The whole quad erupted in laughter and fun. Why was I trying to educate these beasts? They already knew more than I did. They knew how to be happy and love one another. 

I got it. 

I understood. 

So I gave myself permission to wake up.

That night was the first time I had a teacher dream that did not end with me struggling to wake up and lower my blood pressure.









In keeping with my Winter Squash a Day in October theme, here are images I remember from a REAL classroom. These are circa 1940, and you can buy your own right HERE. Before you think you can figure out how old you think I am, when I retired I had posters from 30+ years before. So these delightful 1940s images which I remember from first grade in New Jersey may have been a cherished part of a seasoned teacher's collection.





No comments: