10.24.12

My fav this fall


Do you love scented candles? I sure do. It is not always a good idea to have one burning in a wooden house, though. 

If I am going to be going from one room to another or possibly leaving for a few hours, I do not always want to leave an open flame unattended. 
 







This is Elvis, who does not look as if he could jump up for his dinner bowl but I assure you this is not the case. He is a cat I visit sometimes. I do have an advantage over cat owners since my animal could not leap up to a candle topped surface. 

As good as the above but not kitcheny

Still, I would like to alternate my EXPENSIVE Yankee Candles with some carefully selected DIY room freshener ideas. I found some very easy ones on TIPNUT.

There are a lot of different methods of getting the scent into the air. Some use the stove for hours at a time--a little expensive. I think the same recipes could be used in a crock pot, on an electric tart warmer, or one of those cute little $5 electric candle warmers that used to be marketed as cup warmers. 
 
Oy. I bought MINE for $5. I see you can now get one for $10 to $40. Still, you might LIKE to have one you could plug into your computer, a style you can get these days.

So to get a simmering potion, I might try some of these combinations in water.
Vanilla and orange peel--might smell like a creamsicle!

1/8 cup cloves, 1/8 cup allspice, 2 cinnamon sticks--could be Christmas-y

6 whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 tsp vanilla--Christmas Cookie?

2 cups dried rosemary, 2 cups dried lavender, 1 cup dried eucalyptus leaves, 1/2 cup dried peppermint or spearmint, 1/2 cup dried bay leaves--TIPNUT says this is a winter freshener. 

These are just a few of my favorite simmering potions to try. TIPNUT has 15 simmering recipes and some ideas for using your slow cooker and your oven

I will look at some more ideas this week. I am considering the purchase of some essential oils. Check tomorrow for a room freshener that uses no heating source.


   

No comments: