10.3.10

Sunday Review

I always wanted a job where I could read and then give everyone my opinion about what I had read. Another book I have reviewed can be found here.

Katharina Buss' Big Book of Knitting was printed in Germany in 1996. My copy is in English and has 240 pages of extremely well photographed samples. It shows the very basics but unlike other knitting books that are suitable for beginners, it still has something to offer the experienced knitter. It has cast-ons, increases, decreases, bindoffs, and all kinds of ways of doing some very advanced maneuvers. It shows several methods for sleeves, selvedges, joining pieces of knitting, and has an entire section devoted to stitch patterns. It is a reliable research resource. Sometimes I just pick it up to read and I always find something interesting to think about.

You can get it used from about $.80 to new about $14. If you have never ordered books from that big internet bookseller, let me warn you that the $.80 price for the book from an associated seller on their big site is NEVER as good a deal as paying the AMAZON price. The associated dealers make up their profit in charging exorbitant shipping.

If you do not have the book, get it. Get it in paperback and take it to an office supply or printing establishment and have them slice off the spine and put a spiral binding on it. You will be glad you did.


No comments: