10.26.12

Did you try any of yesterday's ideas? I hope by the time you are reading this I have found one I really like. I will probably try the CHRISTMAS COOKIE from the day before. Instead of a cinnamon stick, I will use powdered cinnamon.
Poplar tree in our neighborhood
Do you use Febreeze? We do. Sometimes we use A LOT. As far as room fresheners go, it is the only spritz one I buy. Did you know you can make your own? Clean out a pump spray bottle--perhaps an empty Febreeze?

Reader's Digest suggests this combination:
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cups (500ml) water
Combine it in a bowl and when the fizzing stops, pour it into a fine mist bottle. I am tempted to try Key Lime.
Probably hickory, by our mailbox

Some people use a liquid fabric softener in their laundry. If you do, you can make a matching spritz by putting 1/8 cup (2 Tbsp.) of fabric softener (choose your favorite scent), 2 Tbsp. baking soda in a 32 oz. spray bottle, fill it the rest of the way with hot water and shake it up. I got that recipe from BakersfieldMom who has a Thrifty Thursday segment. You might want to go there and see what else she cooks up. The people at Ingles will be watching me test-sniff fabric softeners this week. I have never used a liquid softener. I grew up with Cling-Free dryer sheets and never learned the other way to soften clothes.


SheKnows.com advocates: Pour one cup of water into a clean, reusable spray bottle, add in two tablespoons of vodka and about 20 drops of essential oils (keep in mind that some essential oils are stronger than others, so start off conservatively when adding the oil), screw on the top and shake well to combine the mixture. 

If you don't have extra vodka at your house, a scientist I know suggested ethanol. I asked for another choice and I was told, "White Lightning." I asked about isopropyl alcohol but the thought against that is it would make the house smell like a hospital.

The red leaves are sourwood, the kind of honey we have a lot of around here.


No comments: